Rikki's Geocaching Blog

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

State Survey Markers, Our Benchmarks


State Survey Marker SSM98484
Originally uploaded by Rikki Photos.
It's anoying to see the Benchmarking option on the Geocaching website and not being able to use it because I live outside the USA.

So as an experiment, I decided to track down the equivalent for New South Wales. These State Survey Markers are controlled by the NSW Lands Department. I searched their online mapping site (http://maps.nsw.gov.au/) and found some markers near me. Along with the GPS coordinates and a print of the cadastral map I went hunting.

The first three markers I tried to find appear to be missing. Where one marker should have been, the road had been patched. The marker must have been removed or buried.

Did have some sucess and found the marker in this photo. Considering there are thousands of these around the state, I don't know if I would make a habit of logging them, if a provision was made.

I would be interesting in logging Trigonometric Stations. There was a recent discussion on the Geocaching Australia website about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home